He just wanted to be held, so I held him for about a half hour while he cried really hard. I could tell he was hurting but I couldn't tell where. At that point, he looked normal. He finally cried himself to sleep in my arms, and I put him in his crib. I heard him crying 45 minutes later and when I went to get him he had a huge lump on the side of his head. This is when I got really nervous!
I called the Dr. and they said to come in. He sent us to the hospital for a skull x-ray. It showed that Cooper had a "pretty significant" fracture in his frontal bone that continued into the temporal bone. The Dr. was concerned about brain trauma and damage to the artery behind the temporal bone, so they did a CT scan. Thankfully, it showed just a small amount of blood right at the fracture, but no bleeding in the brain or damage to the artery. We were also relieved that the bones of the skull had not been knocked out of place and damaged his brain that way. Cooper cried most of the day, and screamed during the x-rays and CT scan. It was so hard having to hold him down while he screamed. I know the noise that the scanner made really scared him. They taped his head to the headboard to try and keep him still, and that really scared him too. I felt so bad! After we got home, he cheered up a little bit and even started running around and playing. The Dr. said to watch him really carefully through the night and bring him in Monday for a check-up. We have to be really careful for about a month that he doesn't hit his head or fall again. No climbing, jumping, or anything like that. That's going to be the hard part!
I feel terrible that this happened, and even worse that I wasn't right there to pick him up. He is getting lots of snuggles and hugs and kisses, though (when he holds still long enough)! We love this little monkey of ours! It's been hard to see him in pain, but we hope he'll feel better soon. We feel so blessed that his brain is OK and his skull will recover. We know this accident could have been much worse. I think grandpa Griffin must have been watching out for him! We are so thankful! I have to say, though, I hope next week is really boring!!!
2 comments:
That is really scary! I'm glad he is feeling better. It's amazing how quickly things like that can happen.
I think the hardest part of being a parent is watching your child hurting, or being scared and not being able to immediately fix it. He is such a cutie. I hope he feels better soon, and I really hope you get your boring week this week!
Post a Comment