This was a good week, despite the hard work! So I'm just going to jump in....
So, last Monday, we went to a Crocodile Farm for our P-Day activity. We took along three live chickens and threw them all into the crocodile pit so see which one could live the longest. Gus and Spencer died pretty quickly, but Julie survived! She ran away from all of the crocodiles and managed to hide under a stone ledge, but she'll die soon enough. I have pictures and videos! Also, we played with a sun-bear. It's the same species that Baloo is on "The Jungle Book". We fed him some milk and then wrestled with him, and that was a lot of fun. His name was Eddy.
Later that night, we went and taught Brother E and his family. He's a less-active. We just got to know him and talked a bit. We played a game called "Hai, Su, Kah" which they totally LOVED!!!! They were laughing so hard that I thought that they would pinsam (faint)! It was really funny and it was good. We're meeting them again tonight, and we're instituting a group FHE so the other members in the area can become active again.
Tuesday, we met with B and F. They are really good. We wanted to invite them to the FHE gathering, but they were unable to come due to work. We are also meeting with them tomorrow night again. They are really neat. They work a lot, so it's hard for them to go to Church, so we have been helping B to try to overcome that obstacle.
We also helped two of the Sisters, Sister Anderson and Sister Rigby and clearing our their portion of the Branch Directory. We went to a place called Senadin. That wasn't good. We didn't find anybody really, we just biked around in the hot sun for 5 hours. Later that night, we met with President Atos. He is the Branch Mission Leader. He's super good and he is totally on board with Elder Trudo and I. His cousin's son-in-law was on MH370. They still haven't found it. We are pretty up-to-date, but there's no news as of yet. We also met with President Langgie, the Branch President. He is President Atos' son, and he is ready to help!
So, our plan is to clean out the Branch List. All of the people who have disappeared or who have converted to Islam we put into MLS (ask Tyson about that, he knows). So, the Muslims/ex-LDS ones stay on a seperate list in Singapore, so that when it's not illegal to teach Muslims, then they can go back to Church. The rest are send to Salt Lake to be found by the experts. So, by cleaning about the Branch List, we will know who to focus on. That will strengthen relationships with the members, it will get home/visiting teaching up-and--going, and eventually, we will not have to go contacting and we will teach only referrals.
Door contacting is a way to find people, but it is rarely effective. I've baptized about 13 people on my mission. Only one was a door contact. Everyone else was a referral. So, please, although many of you live in Happy Valley, befriend non-members, and introduce them to the missionaries!
I also have Missionary Tags in the following languages. Chinese, English, Bahasa Melayu, and soon enough, Tamil. I took pictures, I'll try to send those!
There was District Conference the past few days. Elder Larry Y. Wilson from the Asia Area Presidency came. I was up on the stand translating for the whole thing into Malay for the Saturday adult session. That was a little difficult, but I was able to do it. It's just hard to translate some certain things. American idioms don't translate well into Malay....
President and Sister Mains were also there. We had our periodical interviews. That was good.
Well, that's all for this week! I have literally 6 months left! I come home September 25, so I'll be home before you know it!
Dengan Sayang,
Elder Joshua H. Griffin
| holding the goat |
| Holding the bear |
| name tags in Malay, Iban, English, and Mandarin Chinese |
No comments:
Post a Comment