Friday, September 17, 2010

Mom Update: Chemo Is My Friend?????

When mom was diagnosed with cancer, one of the first things she asked the doctor was "Will I have to have chemotherapy?"  He said, "Yes, but chemo is your friend.  It's going to save your life."   We are trying to keep that in mind now, because mom is pretty miserable. 

I know many of you have been worried about her, so I thought I'd let you know how she's handling the chemo.  She didn't sleep at all Wednesday night.  She was too nauseous and had a really bad headache.  She talked to the nurse the next morning, and the nurse prescribed some Phenegran and told her to quit the Zofran that she'd been taking for nausea, because that could be the cause of her headache. (Please excuse my spelling when it comes to the meds!) Thursday the Phenegran helped a little, the nausea wasn't as constant but just came in waves.  She is drinking water and trying to eat a little, but only had a little yogurt and chicken broth yesterday.  Today she is exhausted, still fighting the nausea, the headache, and is aching all over.  She feels like she has the stomach flu and the flu that comes with headache and muscle aches, too.  She was able to sleep well last night, though, and is getting some sleep today.  Emily is staying with her and taking good care of her.  We knew this would be hard, and we also know this will get better.  We are so thankful for our blessings, including chemo!

6 comments:

Valorie said...

I am so sorry she is so sick. I think that must the worst thing about chemo...it gets worse before it gets better and then when it's better you start over again. I am praying for you guys. Wish I could make it all go away.

Cindy said...

My brothers wife just finished with chemo. It is difficult yes, but the end results were worth it. Hang in there Barbara.

Lid said...

Love your blog, sis. Cancer sucks. hate that mom has is. But I love how it has brought our family closer... I didn't think we could get closer.. :) With every trial, there are also many blessings. Cherry lifesavers will always mean a lot more to me now!! :) Love ya!!

Diane Berntsen said...

Hi Girls, I am so glad you are doing this. Thank you, Thank you. I feel bad that your Mom is so sick. I wish I could take it for her. I really have missed her these last few months. She is such a dear. We (the "old" girls) went to lunch on our regular Wednesday, and the topic was, of course, your Mom and you Girls....You truly are amazing. Thanks so much for all -- all of you are doing. I am sure your families miss having you around, but they seem to be "tuned in" as well. And how is your sweet Dad doing with all of this? He is such a quiet, strength in your family. I know he is so supportive.
Well, keep us informed---we love being able to "know what is going on". I've always said, "We are like a cult"!!!
Diane, Darlene, Brenda, Karen, and Paulette and we are missing Barbara!

The Christensen Family said...

Cancer stinks! I wish there was more we could do. One of the hardest things about all of this is feeling so helpless. It will get better...and then it will be time for round 2, darnit! Sure do love you girls, and I'm glad we can all be there for mom!

Connie's Corner said...

What a beautiful blog! Your mother is so blessed to have such a wonderful family! I know the next few months are going to be hard, but so worth it in the end. Your mom is a "trooper". Than you for keeping us all informed. She is in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Connie Johnson