My mom's breast cancer diagnosis has definitely sent our family on a little detour. This isn't the path we had mapped out for the summer, for sure! We are learning all sorts of things about breast cancer, surgery, surgical drains, chemo, radiation, hormone replacement therapy, lymph nodes, pathology reports, scarves, wigs, and the list goes on. It's a long list, really, and it's a lot to take in all at once. We are also learning that there is a whole other world out there, with pink ribbons and butterflies everywhere you look. We knew this place was out there, but it always seemed far away, and was somewhere we hoped we would never have to go. We are finding, though, that this is a place filled with lots of other women too. It's pretty crowded actually, and I'm pretty sure none of them want to be there either! There are also some great doctors, and nurses who are so nice that they answer every question we have, even if we ask the same ones two or three times. (Again, it's a lot to take in!) So, while my mom takes this journey, this little detour she has been sent on, she will be in good company with everybody else in this "pink" world who is trying to get back on track. We know there will probably be some bumps along the way, but we hope her road to recovery will not be too long or too hard. No matter where it takes us, we will be with her through it all, and we will all just hang on for the ride!
(By the way, this is another song I've liked for a long time, and it seemed appropriate for this post, with the butterflies, and all. It made me think of my mom and all of the other "butterflies" trying to fly through hard times right now.)
She has had a busy week this week and continues to recover from her surgery. On Tuesday she met with her surgeon, who said she is healing well. He took out the four drains she has had in since the surgery three weeks ago. That was cause for celebration! No more dang drain pain! Yay!!! Those drains were really bothering her. They were painful and were just plain cramping her style. But, on the bright side, now all of us girls and my dad, too, know how to empty surgical drains. She will see the surgeon again in the second week of September to have another small surgery to insert the port into her chest where she will receive her chemo.
Wednesday, we met with the oncologist. We were a little worried about the news he might give us. We know the cancer has not spread on one side, thankfully, but has spread to lymph nodes on the other side. He explained her chemotherapy schedule to us, and she will start mid September, if all goes well. She will have chemo treatments every other week for 16 weeks, then radiation for 5-6 weeks, five days a week. So, that will keep her pretty busy. They warned her that she will be really tired and won't feel too great, and to plan on giving herself about a year to start feeling like herself again. That's OK...it's worth it! It was a long appointment, we were there about three hours and we learned a lot about what the next few months will hold. It goes without saying that after that marathon appointment, we just had to take ourselves to Olive Garden. Melanie and I went with my mom that day, and we had lots of laughs at the restaurant. Sometimes a Cherry Coke, breadsticks, and (of course) alfredo dipping sauce can just make your day!
She was scheduled for an echo cardiogram today to make sure her heart is nice and healthy and ready to handle the chemo, but she decided to reschedule that for next week to give her incisions a little more time to heal. She had a nice visit with Aunt Mary today, (her sister) and she is so thankful for all of the love and support from her family and friends. She has so many people who love her and have been worried about her, and we all appreciate the help and the prayers!
I will try to keep everybody updated on her progress on the "road to recovery". We know she'll do great! We all love her and are thankful for our blessings. We know some days will be really hard, but most days, life will be good!
......and if it's not, we'll just take ourselves back to Olive Garden or somewhere equally yummy. A hot fudge sundae from McDonalds always seems to do the trick!

7 comments:
Kristin, thanks for the update on your mom. I pray for her so often and I wish I could do something meaningful to help. Your post was beautiful, and you guys will all look wonderful in pink.
Love,
Val
I love your positive outlook. I too pray for your mom and hope everything goes as well as possible. My parents, who are serving their mission in Israel, asked if I had heard how she was doing the other day. I know they are thinking about her and praying for her too. I love the part about comfort food. It's amazing what it can do. I'm wasted today and was just thinking of heading over to the new Chick-fil-a for some waffle fries and a Dr. Pepper. Hmm... I think it will do me some good.
I'm so glad to have your blog available! I plan to check it often, both for info about Barbara and the rest of your family. Cancer isn't fun, but a good attitude can help a lot.
Thanks Kristin for the update. My brother's wife is going thru breast cancer too. I think the world of your Mom. She is in our thoughts and prayers daily.
Thanks so much Kristin for this. You and your other sisters have been so great with/for your Mom. I am so proud of how you have worked it out, with taking turns, when you are all so busy with your little families.
I love your Mom so much we just have to keep her well, and happy, and positive, so she can beat this.
I can't imagine doing flowers the rest of my life without her!!! Just like me to be thinking of myself! You all know how much I love each of you, and your great Dad!!!
Hi Kristin,
Thanks for this! My mom send me the link. I just love your mom and she is in my thoughts and prayers.
--Jennifer Hemmert Hansen
p.s. You have a BEAUTIFUL family!
I loved that, Kris!! You are so sweet and even though this sucks so bad to have happen to mom.. There is sunshine after the rain and we can laugh through the tears. I'm just glad the drains are finally gone. those were brutal.. we need to get together soon with our breast cancer shirts for a sisters night and make it a humdinger!! :) (that's my new thing, thanks to you.. I LOVE it!!)
Post a Comment